ph. +372 664 6000
- Destinations, Uncategorized
- BeerInLatvia, BeerTourGuide, CraftBeerLatvia, MaldugunsBeer, UzavasBeer, ValmiermuizasBeer, ViediAlusBeer, ZoltnersBeer
LATVIAN BEER (GUIDE)
If you are beer lover, then this post is for you! Anyone who likes beer and is thinking of visiting Latvia may consider to try some of the local brews that Latvia has to offer.
For a traditional Latvian lager experience look for:
1. Valmiermuiža beer – Unhurriedly brewed for special occasions, in Latvia beer has been the landlord’s pride and joy since days of yore. As a measure of our respect for venerable traditions, at Valmiermuiža we brew live beer patiently and nurture a culture of enjoying beer, so that beer enjoys a place of honour on the festive table just as it did in olden days. The road taken by Valmiermuiža’s brews to beer lovers started with its amber lager. A sumptuous and popular flavour where, offset by the sweetness of caramel, the bitterness of hops quenches one’s thirst and refreshes. In every sip, you can also taste the flowery minted notes of buckwheat honey. Try this lager beer in Valmiermuiža embassy Aristida Briāna iela 9, Rīga
2. Užavas beer – was founded in 1994 shortly after Latvia’s restoration of independence. Because of the high-quality water of the Užava area, this was the clear choice for the location of our brewery. Here our proprietor first built his residence containing a small brewery. Bringing under the same roof his passion for family and beer making! Three varieties of beer are currently produced – Užavas LIGHT, Užavas DARK and Užavas WINTER (Baltic Dark beer)
3. Zoltners beer – the brewery produces two unique original sorts of beer – light and dark. Own production – from the grain to the beer mug. Try this lager beer in Aurora bar, Dzirnavu iela 43, Rīga.
4. Mežpils beer – Mežpils Gaišais (Light) is brewed from golden barley malt, and proudly boasts an amber hue, distinctly hoppy bitterness and a subtle hint of caramel – a combination that will be appreciated by even the most discerning beer lovers invariably in search of the genuine and natural article. Mežpils Tradicionālais beer flavour that has been beloved by many generations encounters the typical characteristics of Mežpils, the result is Mežpils Traditional beer — a light, refreshing and enjoyable lager-type beer with a pretty and gently golden colour. The characteristics of the flavour of Mežpils Tumšais (Dark) beer are highlighted by premium quality malt. This redden brown variety of beer will surprise you with its inimitable aroma of hops and caramel malt, and memorably refreshing aftertaste. Try this lager beer in Aurora bar, Dzirnavu iela 43, Rīga.
5. Tērvetes beer – Beer has been an essential part of Latvian lifes. In order to preserve the brewing traditions in region of Zemgale, in 1971 Tērvetes brewery was built. There was started the brewing of the well-known and highly appreciated beer Tērvete. Beer is a natural product and good brewing should be in accordance with tradition and natural processes. Thanks to Zemgale fertile land, special beer barley varieties are grown every year in Tērvete, which is the basic raw material for beer production. Tervete beer is made of local raw materials, as a proof of that is quality label “Quality product” or more widely known as”Green spoon” which represents the provenance and high quality of product.
For a Craft beer experience look for:
1. Malduguns Craft Beer – this microbrewery started to operate in 2013 and immediately made a huge step forward: it was listed in ”The top 100 brewers in the world” award in that year. Now they are very well known in Latvia and in the countries nearby. Malduguns produces very tasty Ales with a creative craft touch. They have now more than ten different beers, like the delicious Rudais Rudens, an Extra Special Bitter (ESB), and the spicy Sānslīde, an India Pale Ale (IPA), in addition to almost twenty variations of the single hop IPA Zaļā Bise (Green Shotgun), each using a different kind of hop. The brewery is located in the Rauna district, 110 km from Riga. Try this lager beer in Vinil bar, Kalnciema iela 39, Rīga.
2. Labietis Craft Beer /Aristida Briāna iela 9A2,Riga / – There are 12 different beers on tap here, as well as additional seasonal brews on offer, as well as bottles to take home. Have a seat at one of the huge wooden tables, or when it’s sunny out, head to the outdoor terrace. Try this craft beer also in Riga Central Market, Centrāltirgus iela 1, Riga
3. Viedi Craft Beer – beer from a microbrewery founded in 2015. The recipes started as experiments. They produce unfiltered and non-pasteurized Ales, like the delicious Rodeo (APA) and their most famous, Blondais Grēks (Blond Sin), a Wit beer. The brewery is interested in not only offering a good beer, but also educating the public about the beer culture and creating conditions for the availability and variety of beer in Latvia at the same level as in the United States or Belgium. Try this craft beer in Bar Gauja, Stabu iela 32, Rīga.